Component 1: Sustainable Smallholder Irrigation Development
This component aims to transform low-performing irrigation schemes into fully functional ones in terms of efficient water management and low O&M costs. Department of Irrigation is the lead implementing agent for component 1. The sub-components of component 1 include:
1.1 Scheme Selection and Rehabilitation
- Irrigation scheme Revitalisation of 6100ha of existing smallholder irrigations scheme
1.2 Improved Smallholder Irrigation Management
- Establish effective leadership and governance systems;
- Enhance leadership, ownership, effective O&M, good management, productivity and sustainability of rehabilitated schemes.
1.3 Enhanced Institutional Capacity for Irrigation Development
- Strengthen the capacity of DoI to provide quality service to smallholder irrigation farmers
- Build capacity of DOI to engage in evidence-based policy dialogue for smallholder irrigation development.
- Draft legal framework for smallholder irrigation schemes.